The Heat in Nashville and Huntsville Can Take a Toll on Your Roofing System.
As we navigate this scorching summer, it’s important to arm yourself with information that every homeowner should know. Below are some of the ways the current heatwave could be affecting your roofing system:
- Reduces Roof Longevity: Your roof is subjected to direct UV rays, damaging the topmost layer of your shingles and compromising the strength of the materials. This naturally shortens the lifespan of your roof.
- Deteriorates Material Quality: The relentless sun speeds up the decomposition of your roofing materials, causing them to weaken over time. This results in increased vulnerability to leaks and other issues.
- Fades the Roof’s Color: If you take a drive around Nashville or Huntsville, you may notice various roof shades on homes that have been around for some time. That’s because prolonged exposure to harsh sunlight can cause the color of your roof to fade gradually.
- Compromises Structural Integrity: The cycle of extreme heat during daytime and cooler temperatures at night—known as a thermal shock—weakens your roof’s structural integrity. The constant expansion and contraction of the components create cracks and permit water intrusion.
- Mold and Moss Concerns: Although mold and moss are topics nobody enjoys discussing, they must be addressed in the context of roofing. The humid and warm conditions typical of Nashville and Huntsville can promote mold and moss growth. Being vigilant about this is essential for long-term roof health.
Stay informed and proactive to protect your roof and home during these hot summer months. If you have concerns about the condition of your roof, contact Rhythm Roofing for an expert evaluation.